Thursday 16 October 2014

Healthier Food Choices

As mentioned before in one of my previous post, Singapore is a multiracial society with people from different culture living together in harmony. Hence, people in Singapore enjoy a great variety of food which each culture has to offer. However, are we choosing the correct healthier food alternatives? The Health Promotion Board authority has been helping by allowing this symbol to be indicated on food products which are deemed as healthier food choice.

An ex-colleague of mine, like most Singaporeans believe in the myth that western food constitute everything fried and therefore unhealthy to consume often. I shall prove this myth wrong in the following dish.


This is a dish which is served in one of the famous western food chain restaurants here. It consists of tenderly grilled chicken breast meat topped with creamy, flavorful Victoria sauce, served with seasonal vegetables and fries. Perhaps replacing the fries with mashed potatoes would make this dish a more healthier choice. Certainly, this dish dispel the myth that western food constitute everything fried which most Singaporeans think so. I believe this myth exist due to the fact that most western food stalls in hawker centres or coffeeshops serve all fried items. There are in fact healthier alternatives like salads and sandwiches for western food. In fact, I think generally western food are healthier than our local food. Do you think a plate of nasi lemak, char kuay teow or roti prata is healthier than a plate of seafood or chicken pasta?

The point which I want to conclude is that regardless of the type of food, there are always the healthy and unhealthy side.

Here are some characteristics which I noticed for various type of food.

Chinese (China, Hong Kong and perhaps Taiwan) food are generally very oily and high in cholesterol as the Chinese people eat practically almost everything such as pig internal organs. When I visited Hong Kong many years ago, the Omelette which is served in restaurant contains more oil than our local fried chicken and I could feel the oil gushing into my mouth for every bite. Despite that, it wasn't oily enough that their locals need to dip their food into oil to enhance the flavour.

Japanese food seem healthy as most dishes are raw or steamed instead of fried and the ingredients are mostly healthy too, However, the monosodium glutamate level is quite high especially in the soup.

Malay and Indian food consist of mostly fried items and generally spicy. The usage of coconut in cooking thee dishes also constitute to high cholesterol. 

As far as I can remember from a health advertisement, here are some examples of choosing healthier alternatives for breakfast.

Chinese
Congee instead of Fried Carrot Cake

Western
Oats instead of American Breakfast (Ham, Egg, Sausages)

Malay
Mee Siam instead of  Nasi Lemak

Indian
Chappati instead of Roti Prata

If you aren't food conscious, perhaps you should start choosing healthier alternatives today as diet plays an important factor in your health.

6 comments:

  1. thanks for tagging on my blog! you seem to know a lot about food. :) i'll be making an app for hawker centers for my final year project next year, hope i can gather some insights from you. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Musho, nice to hear from you again! Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my blog post. You're the first to comment on my blog. Well, I don't really know much about food but I will be glad to assist you in your project if I can. By the way, I studied IT too just like you and is currently working as software engineer. Hmm the hawker centre app sounds interesting. Are you able to disclose the high level objectives for the app?

      Delete
    2. Nice to know about our common interests!
      Yeah, it's a year-long final year school project.

      The aim is to collect data on hawker food prices that will be ultimately used by the government to create policies to benefit hawkers and patrons. Policies to alleviate the problem of hawker food disappearing in the near future due to long working hours and low pay to the hawkers.

      The data has to be crowd sourced.
      So, I have to research on how to attract people to contribute this data.
      My current thinking is food vouchers as an incentive to contribute. And to make it a budget app for people to record how much they spend on food and to search for cheap food places. This way, while people record the prices, they can contribute to the data.

      I saw your android app :) I am most likely doing it on android. Or, cross platform.

      Delete
    3. Hi Musho,

      My brother works as a statistician and he had mentioned about such app to collect data from the crowd before but I did not have the time to do the design for him. Hence, I am glad you initiated the concept of such app for your project.

      Prior to starting my current job in Jan this year, my friend who is working for one of the hypermarket chain had sought my assistance to provide advices to a group of business students from a poly. They were supposed to design a mobile app to facilitate the search for recipes and the relevant items to purchase from the supermarket which I helped to provide feedbacks on the app design and technical feasibility.

      Before accepting my current job, I was interviewed by a poly for a mobile app developer position to work on a national project to collect data (images). I submitted my android app and was accepted. Unfortunately, I chose my current job as it was a permanent employment compared to the 11-months contract which they could offer me.

      I have read your blog and you seem more inclined towards being a designer rather than a coder.

      I am also curious what does the Computing subject in JC teaches besides programming.

      Delete
    4. Actually, I had a personal idea for a recipe sharing site/app, and when you list the ingredients, and it will detect which is the cheapest supermarket you can get it at! =D And calculate the total price. Up to date about supermarket discounts too :) But you know the hardest part will be getting the data.

      Just to clarify, I'm in university now, not JC! And yes, I like design a lot, but I don't want to give up coding, too. I am a Computing student after all.

      H2 Computing in JC teaches you software engineering life cycle and basics about hardware and networking. Of course, the data structures & algorithms too.

      Delete
    5. Hi Musho, I emailed you on Google+ as it is more conducive to exchange messages.

      Delete